Helping students with disabilities achieve their goals.
TAFE NSW provides exceptional support services to all prospective and enrolled students with disabilities. And it’s through these services that we hope to help our students achieve their education and career goals.
Our support covers the following disability areas:
- Blind and vision impaired
- Deaf and hearing impaired
- Intellectual disabilities
- Learning disabilities
- Neurological disabilities
- Physical disabilities
- Medical conditions and chronic illness
- Mental health
To make sure our support services are of the highest standard we provide our students with specialist Teacher Consultants. These Consultants ensure that those with a disability have equal access to education and training at all TAFE NSW locations.
Our Teacher Consultants provide a wide range of services in close consultation with the student or their advocate. These services may include:
- Help with course applications and entry tests.
- Provision of fee exemption and concession information.
- Organising one-on-one (or small group) tutorial support to assist with course theory, study skills and Moodle access.
- Providing access to assistive technology on campus such as FM audio systems, voice-to-text software, screen-reading software, ergonomic equipment (such as large screens), alternative seating, writing slopes and trackballs.
- Providing learning resources in alternative format such as enlarged fonts, braille, captioning of videos, digital or MP3 format.
- Organising sign language interpreters.
- Providing reader/writers, note takers or disability assistants, excluding personal care.
- Negotiating for flexible attendance if required.
- Arranging assessment and examination modifications such as extra time, extra break times, different environments or formats.
- Providing advice with regard to physical access to grounds and buildings on campus.
- Liaising with external agencies.
All of the above services may also apply to students who have a temporary disability.
At the Riverina Institute we respect a student’s right to privacy and confidentiality. Additionally, TAFE NSW policy supports the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1993), Disability Standards for Education (2005) and the NSW Disability Services Act (1986). These Acts are based on general principles that people with disabilities have the same rights as other members of the Australian society.
If you think you may require extra assistance because of your disability please make direct contact with the Teacher Consultant below who services your campus.
Team Leader Disability Support
Phone (02) 6058 2890
Email: Sue O'Connell
Based at Albury Campus also servicing Corowa, National Environment Centre, Griffith, Leeton, Finley, Deniliquin, Hay and Coomealla campuses
Phone (02) 6938 1386
Email: Tanya Doherty
Based at Wagga Wagga Campus also servicing Primary Industry Centre, Narrandera, Temora, Young, Cootamundra, Tumut, West Wyalong and Lake Cargelligo campuses