Worried about your finances?

We understand that completing a course of study may be a strain on your finances. However, just by doing a little bit of research, you can find a number of financial assistance options that will help you chase the career you’ve always wanted. Here are a few options that may be relevant to you:

VET Student Loans

From 1 January 2017, the Commonwealth VET Student Loans program will replace the existing VET FEE-HELP loan program.

This Commonwealth Government program allows you to access loans for courses that:

  • have a high national priority
  • meet industry needs
  • contribute to addressing skills shortages
  • lead to employment outcomes.

The program also features loan caps for course loans. This means if your fees are above the loan cap, you will need to pay the difference. Most TAFE NSW students will not be affected by loan caps, but if you are, you will be advised of this during your enrolment. For more information, visit our VET Student Loan page.


If you're studying at TAFE NSW you may be able to receive financial assistance from the Commonwealth Government. Information about all types of assistance including Youth Allowance, Austudy, Abstudy and Pensioner Education Supplement may be obtained from Centrelink (link).

Note: Students can now capture, upload and store documents (proof of pension) by registering and using the Centrelink/DHS Express Plus mobile app. Visit Express Plus mobile apps for more information.



There are a number of scholarships available to help you meet all or part of your course fees and expenses. To find out more information check the Scholarships page.

Travel Concessions

Travelling to and from Campus, when you look at it over a period of time, can be costly. As a TAFE NSW student you may be entitled to concession or free travel on public or private transport (conditions apply). To find out more, talk to a customer service officer at your local campus.

If you’re an International Student unfortunately you’re not entitled to the same travel concessions. However, you may access MyMulti discounted tickets. Visit International student travel discount on the Transport for NSW website for more information.

Long distance travel concessions for apprentices and trainees

The Vocational Training Assistance Scheme (VTAS) provides concessions to some apprentices and trainees to attend training. VTAS may be available to apprentices and trainees who live in NSW and need to travel more than 120 km (round trip) to attend off-the-job training.

Speak to an Industry Training Service Centre on 13 28 11 for more information.

Tax Concessions

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) may allow you to deduct expenses for self-education under certain circumstances. To find out if you’re eligible for the deductions simply visit the ATO website.


If you’d like to know more about any of these financial support options feel free to make an appointment with one of our Career Counsellors at a location near you.